Posted March 31, 2016

How to pay your corporation tax

As accountants, we often get asked by our clients how to pay corporation tax.


To pay your corporation tax you will need your 17 character Corporation Tax payslip reference for the accounting period you are paying.  The reference number can be found by logging into your company’s HMRC online account and going to “view account” then “accounting period”, alternatively it will be on the pay slip sent to the company by HMRC.

A word of warning, HMRC’s systems are often unable to match payment due to payments made if you provide the wrong reference number.  We often see companies being sent a refund shortly followed by a demand for payment for the exact amount of the refunded tax!

Ways to pay

There are plenty of methods available to pay your Corporation Tax bill.

You can find details of the methods available on HMRC’s website at:

If you have any problems making a payment or would like to know more, please get in touch.


The information contained above is provided for information purposes only and is not intended to amount to advice on which reliance should be placed. We therefore disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such information. Professional advice should be obtained before taking or refraining from taking any action as a result of the above contents.