Posted September 12, 2016

Would the marriage tax allowance benefit me?

Are you married or in a civil partnership?

Is one of you a non-taxpayer?

Is the other partner a basic rate tax payer?

If the answer to all of these questions is yes, you may be entitled to claim the marriage tax allowance.


The marriage tax allowance allows the non-tax paying partner to transfer 10% of their personal allowance to their basic rate tax paying spouse/civil partner (currently £1,100). For the 2016/17 tax year this would save them £220.  You can also backdate your claim for up to four years, as it was only introduced in April 2015 by backdating your claim to use last year’s and this year’s allowance you could save up to £432.


To claim you will need to apply online via the link below:


The information contained above is provided for information purposes only and is not intended to amount to advice on which reliance should be placed. We therefore disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such information. Professional advice should be obtained before taking or refraining from taking any action as a result of the above contents.